Black, Shoemaker, Robinson & Donaldson Limited (BSR&D) is a Guelph based multi-discipline company providing professional Legal Surveying services and land use planning. BSRD was established in Guelph in 1915 and has served the city, the Golden Triangle area, and the surrounding communities throughout Southern Ontario. Our client base covers a wide range of government and institutional organizations, utilities and the private sector, including the City of Guelph, several Townships and local municipalities, the County of Wellington, the Region of Waterloo, the Provincial government, Guelph Hydro, Union Gas, Atria Networks, University of Guelph, public and Catholic school boards (Wellington County and Waterloo Region), consulting companies, engineers, lawyers, architects, real estate agents, builders, developers and individual property owners.
BSR&D holds a Certificate of Authorization from the Association of Ontario Land Surveyors and is committed to maintaining a high level of professional standards and ethics.
Our experienced staff of approximately 25 people, includes licensed Ontario Land Surveyors, professional planners and several certified technologists and technicians. In order to provide cost effective service to our clients, we regularly invest in staff training (both technological and safety related) and current technology.
Our field crews are equipped with full sized vans, standard total stations, robotic total stations and high precision GPS.
BSR&D’s CAD operators are highly experienced and are proficient in both AutoCAD and MicroSurvey drawing software. We can complete projects to suit your needs in any standard drawing format. Our plotters are colour or black and white capable, and we also have large format colour scanning equipment in house.
The company is fully covered by both professional and general liability insurance.
The company was started in Guelph in 1915 by David Alexander Niven, O.L.S. and, on his passing in 1922, was taken over by E.P. Bowman, O.L.S., D.L.S., P. Eng.
In 1949, S.W. Black, O.L.S., and R.L. Shoemaker, O.L.S., joined the company, which then became known as Bowman, Black & Shoemaker.
The firm evolved to Black, Shoemaker & Robinson, with the passing of Mr. Bowman in 1965 and the addition of W.F. Robinson, O.L.S. in 1966, In 1970, A.B. Donaldson, O.L.S., became a partner in the company, which then became known by its current name of Black, Shoemaker, Robinson & Donaldson Limited (A.K.A. “B.S.R.&D.”).
1988 saw the retirement of Mr. Black and the addition to the partnership of Ian D. Robinson, O.L.S. W.F. (Frank) Robinson retired in 1989, and in that same year the company's partnership was enhanced by the addition of Planning Specialist, Nancy Shoemaker, MCIP, OPPI. 1990 saw the addition of Kerry F. Hillis, O.L.S. to the partnership group. A.B. (Bruce) Donaldson retired from the partnership in 2012, but continued to serve some of our clientele on a part-time consulting basis.
The current company is owned and operated by Ian D. Robinson, O.L.S., Nancy C. Shoemaker, MCIP, OPPI, and Kerry F. Hillis, O.L.S.
Company founder, David Alexander Niven, O.L.S. practiced from 1913-1923.